Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Scaredy Squirrel Maps!

Every 2nd day 7 on the cycle I spend some time in some grade 2 and grade 4 classrooms before lunch.  At first, I panicked.  I did not have access to the computer lab during this time, and I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with the students for 40 minutes in their own classroom.  It has turned out to be awesome, as soon as I realized that I could start sharing books with them!  For the last two sessions we read some of Mo Willem's Pigeon Books, and the students had to create their own cover of what the pigeon could and could not do.  They loved it, and for several days later students would stop me in the hallway to tell me about a new pigeon idea they had, (Don't let the pigeon run a chewing gum factory!) or to show a new pigeon they had drawn.  This time, I wanted to focus on maps.  Scaredy Squirrel always makes the best maps about things terrify him, so after reading Scaredy Squirrel at the beach, I asked students to take a place they normally went, and imagine it how it could be made scary!  They had some excellent maps, including basements at backyards that I am sure a SWAT team would not want to try and get through.  I wish I had scanned or take a picture of them, but they were quite large, making it difficult to easily save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment