Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Bar Code Tatoo

I just finished reading "The Bar Code Tattoo".  It is about a 17 year old girl named Kayla who lives in 2025, a not too distant future.  In this future people over the age of 17 can get a tattoo of a bar code on their wrist that holds all kinds of information, money, health information, family, and your address.  She is very mistrustful of the barcode because she thinks it will be used in some bad ways, including tracking people, or keeping some information about them that they don't want to keep.

I really liked the first part of the book.  It is about Kayla's thoughts on the tattoo, and its effects on her family and friends.  She even joins a group at her school that is anti-code, called DeCode.  The second half of the book though, it gets a little strange, especially the last several chapters, going in a completely unexpected direction.

Normally I would be ok with this, as it would make for an exciting end to the book.  Instead I just found it to be a little bizarre, and such a strange turn of events that it made the book feel somewhat disjointed.  It made me less satisfied with the ending of the book.  It also set itself up for a sequel, but based on how the first book ended, I am not completely sure I want to read the next one, which is odd for me, as I always want to finish the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment